My Children. My Opinions. My Tales.

Sunday, July 26, 2009

The Land of Naps

I remember the days when I had at least two naps a day...ok, I didn't actually take two naps...but I think it was sort of a "mind nap" where I could just zone for an hour or two. Ahh, yes.

(Oh wait, this isn't about me...it is about my daughter's naps...which equals - rest for mommy!)

Ok, so then two became one. But a nice chunk of the afternoon left to sleep, veg, catch-up on a good book or magazine.

Now my big girl doesn't believe in naps. At four she says, "I don't need to sleep mommy." Famous words at nap-time and bed-time. But mommy needs a break...so

What do you do with a determined toddler who refuses to nap?

I usually say it is quiet time, you may lay in your bed and read a book for an hour, or sleep - your choice. But the rules are, you must stay in bed, and be quiet.

Works like a charm. I get my hour of "me-time" and she gets an hour of "rest-time."

1 comment:

Jill said...

Quiet time is the BEST! Mine are 14 and 11 now and every once in a great while I still demand the same exact thing - no screens, just books. At four they really do still need that down time. At 14 and 11 it's a stretch, but I can still get away with it on occasion. :-)